Department of Community Services


Be Prepared

Know the details of your phone provider’s 9-1-1 service

Landline phones operated by Northwestel will connect you to 9-1-1 across Yukon.

Residents and visitors are responsible for checking with their cell phone or Internet phone service provider to know where 9-1-1 calls will be directed. Do not call 9-1-1 to test the service.

  • Internet phone companies (VoIP phones) and Wi-fi calls may have limited or no 9-1-1 service.
  • Cellular service providers may not connect you to Yukon’s 9-1-1 response centre—some providers may route the call closest to where the account is registered.
  • You will not have cellular service everywhere in Yukon.
  • Make sure you know how to call for help—contact your phone service provider for more information.

Program your PBX phone system

Phone systems commonly used in hotels, municipal offices, businesses, and community recreational facilities work differently than a residential land line. These Private Branch Exchange (PBX) phone systems and multi-line phone systems need to be programmed to connect an internal call to external 9-1-1. 

Owners of Private Branch Exchange (PBX) phone systems and similar multi-line phone systems should confirm with their technical staff/service providers that these systems are properly programmed before July 28, 2016. The default programming of these systems may not route an internally dialed 9-1-1 call to the external 9-1-1 system. They may be configured to give a 9-1-1 caller a busy signal, no signal or a recorded messages that prevents callers from reaching the external line.

Teach your children how to call 9-1-1

Be sure everyone in your home knows what 9-1-1 is, how to dial from your home and cell phone, and to trust the 9-1-1 call taker. Make sure your child is able to reach at least one phone in your home.

When calling 9-1-1, children need to know their name, parent’s name, telephone number, and their address. Keep this information near the phone. Tell your child to answer all the call taker’s questions and to stay on the phone.

Make sure responders can see your address

Post your civic address at the driveway entrance and on your home. Try to use reflective material or illumination so that it can be seen in the dark.

If you don’t have a civic address, post your lot number, family name or other identifier that lets emergency responders know they have arrived.

Tips for property numbers.

Know when not to call

When there isn’t an emergency, but you need to speak to RCMP, the fire department or EMS, please use the local non-emergency number, available on municipal/community websites and in the blue pages.

For health questions, you can talk to a registered nurse by calling 8-1-1 for the Yukon HealthLine 8-1-1.