CS- Building Safety

Building Safety

Underground fuel storage tanks

Permit for underground fuel tanks

If you are a homeowner with an underground fuel tank you want to decommission (abandon in place) or remove, you need a permit.

Homeowners should hire a company to remove and dispose of the tank, which cannot be reused, or to decommission the tank by draining the remaining product and filling with inert material (sand or concrete).

Insurance industry policies for underground fuel storage tanks may affect your ability to buy, sell or insure a home. Building Safety and Standards will inspect the work and issue a letter to the homeowner verifying for realtors and insurance companies that the tank was removed or decommissioned.