Department of Community Services

Operations & Programs

Hazardous Waste

There are two types of hazardous waste: Household Hazardous Waste and Commercial Hazardous Waste. 

What is Household Hazardous Waste?

Household hazardous waste includes items like aerosol cans and detergents that require special handling. It is illegal to release hazardous waste into the environment.

Household Hazardous Waste

How do I dispose of Household Hazardous Waste?

Community Services and participating municipalities offer household hazardous waste collection days each year. On these days, residents are invited to bring their household hazardous waste to their local solid waste facility free of charge.

In Whitehorse, Household Hazardous Waste collection happens twice a year, in September and May.

In Watson Lake, Household Hazardous Waste collection happens in September. For all other communities, please contact your municipality or LAC directly or call Community Operations at (867) 667-8945.

Outside municipalities, some transfer stations accept some household hazardous waste if it is properly separated, sealed and labelled. Look for your Solid Waste Facility to see if it offers this service.

How do I make sure my Household Hazardous Waste is accepted?

  • All hazardous materials must be separated, labelled and sealed
  • Household hazardous waste is only accepted from residential sources in Yukon
  • Residents can drop off up to 80 litres of liquid waste, 50 kilograms of solid waste or 40 fluorescent tubes

What is accepted

Aerosol cans Nail polish and remover
Antifreeze Oil filters
Batteries Paint
Bleach  Stains and sealants
Brake fluid Paint thinner
Cosmetics Perfume and cologne
Detergents Pesticides
Disinfectants Insecticides
Fertilizers  Herbicides
Gasoline/diesel  Pool chemicals
Fluorescent tubes (no more than 40) Scouring powder
Glues and adhesives  Solvents
Hair dye Sunscreen
Hairspray Thermostats with mercury
Household cleaners Smoke alarms
Hydrogen peroxide Turpentine
Rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol Driveway sealant
Mildew remover Waxes
Motor oil Windshield washer fluid
Motor vehicle batteries Empty compressed gas cylinders
Varnish Paint remover

What is not accepted

Asbestos and AC pipes and fittings Pharmaceutical waste (like medications)
Biohazardous waste (like needles) Compressed gases
Ammunition Full compressed gas cylinders
Commercial hazardous waste
(more than 80 litres or 50 kilograms)
More than 40 fluorescent tubes

You can bring your biohazardous and pharmaceutical waste to your nearest hospital or nursing station.

For all other hazardous waste that is not accepted, please see How do I dispose of Commercial Hazardous Waste.

What is Commercial Hazardous Waste?

Commercial hazardous waste refers to large volumes–more than 80 liters, 50 kg or 40 fluorescent tubes–and also includes industrial material like asbestos and AC pipes and fittings.

How do I dispose of Commercial Hazardous Waste?

For safe disposal of your commercial hazardous waste, please contact any of Yukon’s private businesses that specialize in this service. They can be found under “waste” in the yellow pages, or you can call Community Operations for assistance at 667-8945.

What are the legal requirements for Commercial Hazardous Waste?

Anybody that generates, stores, handles, mixes, transports, disposes or releases hazardous waste requires a permit. Be aware of your legal obligations under the Special Waste Regulation. For more information or to apply for your permit visit Environment Yukon or call (867) 667-5683.

Yukon TIPP Line


Turn in Polluters: 1-800-661-0525

If you see or suspect someone illegally dumping hazardous waste call the TIPP Line, fill out an online report or contact your local Conservation Officer.