Department of Community Services

Professional Licensing & Regulatory Affairs

Internationally Educated Nurses

Internationally educated nurses who would like to apply for licensure as a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) in Yukon need to complete the following steps:

  1. Language Proficiency: The ability to communicate in English or French is essential in providing safe and effective nursing care in Yukon. Before you can be registered as a Licensed Practical Nurse in Yukon, you must provide proof that you can read and speak in either English or French. Click here to find out about the language requirements for nurses.

  2. Prior Learning Assessment: You will need to get your qualifications assessed by one of the larger regulatory authorities in Canada and provide us with the results of the assessment. We suggest that you contact either the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of BC or the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Alberta for a prior learning assessment.

  3. National Registration Exam: Once you have fulfilled their requirements for access to the Canadian Practical Nurse Registration Exam (CPNRE) you can either write the exam there or contact us for further exam application information.

  4. After passing the CPNRE, please submit the forms listed for new graduates as well as the assessment report obtained from the larger regulatory authority in Canada.