Department of Community Services

Landlord and Tenant Responsibilities

Residential Tenancies Office

As of January 1st, 2016, the new Residential Landlord and Tenant Act (RLTA) will be in force. The Yukon Residential Tenancies Office is available to provide information about the RLTA and to provide formal dispute resolution under the RLTA.

Yukon Residential Landlord and Tenant Handbook  (820 KB)
This handbook provides information about the new Residential Landlord and Tenant Act and regulations.

Information Sessions on the new Residential Landlord and Tenant Act 
Learn about landlord and tenant rights and responsibilities and the new dispute resolution process

Watson Lake
December 1: Yukon College Campus, 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.

The current Landlord and Tenant Act (and the information below) is in effect until December 31, 2015.

Tip Sheets

These Tip Sheets provide overview information and some recommendations for resolving conflicts you may be experiencing. If you require additional information or greater detail on a particular issue, please contact us at 667-5944.

Landlord and Tenant Act Handbook

Handbooks are also available at:
307 Black Street, 1st floor
Whitehorse, YT


1) Where to go if you have a problem

Landlords and tenants wishing information or assistance on landlord and tenant matters, may call or visit:

In Person:
1st floor
307 Black Street
Whitehorse, Yukon

By Mail:
Government of Yukon (C-7)
Box 2703
Whitehorse, Yukon
Y1A 2C6

Telephone: (867) 667-5944
Toll Free (In Yukon): 1-800-661-0408, Extension 5944

There is no charge for these services and both landlords and tenants are treated equally and impartially.

2) Entering into a Tenancy Agreement 
    Reasonable Terms; Condition of Premises Report

3) The Tenant: Your Rights & Responsibilities 
    Privacy; Services and Repairs; Access; Visitors; Rent Increases; Paying your Rent; Being a Good Tenant; Moving Out

4) The Landlord: Your Rights & Responsibilities 
    Protecting Your Property; Receiving the Rent; Use of Premises; Maintaining the Property; Subletting; Security Deposits; Interest Rates

5) Ending the Tenancy 
    Legal Remedies of Landlords; Serving Notice; Physical Eviction; Mobile Home Parks; Rentals Officer; General Claims Before the Small Claims Court


Landlords may ask tenants for a security deposit. A security deposit cannot be more than the equivalent of the first month’s rent at the time the tenancy begins. 

This tip sheet on Security Deposits [78KB ] is provided for assistance only and is not a statement of law. To interpret or apply the legislation, the Landlord and Tenant Act, Part 4, should be consulted. Sections 63 and 64 refer to security deposits.

There are specific rules about how the security deposit may be used. They are detailed in the Landlord and Tenant Act. Please contact Consumer Services at (867) 667-5944 to determine whether you are eligible to use the security deposit for the last month's rent.


The landlord must pay interest to the tenant annually (at the end of each tenancy year) or 15 days after the date the tenant moves out (the earlier date applies). The interest rate is payable at 2% lower than the bank prime rate as of January 1 and July 1 of each year.

This Security Deposit Interest Rates table shows the interest to be paid on the security deposit for each time period. The interest is not compounded; it is calculated for each time period.

Calculating the Interest:

Formula for calculating the interest owed: (Amount) x (% Rate) ÷  365 x (No. of days)

Example of an interest calculation:
Mary rented an apartment on July 1, 1999. Her security deposit was $500.00.
On May 31, 2000, Mary moved out of the rental suite.

July 1, 1999 to Dec. 31, 1999 = 184 days; listed interest rate is 4.25%
$500.00 x 4.25%    ÷  365 days x 184 days = $ 10.71
Jan. 1, 2000 to May 31, 2000 = 152 days; listed interest rate is 4.5%
$500.00 x 4.5%    ÷  365 days x 152 days = $ 9.37

The landlord owes Mary $ 20.08 ($10.71+ $9.37) in interest on her security deposit.

Questions or comments about the Community Services website?