Department of Community Services

Residential Tenancies Office

Police Involvement

During, or at the end of a tenancy, there may be an occasion when police involvement may be considered. Here are some guidelines on when it may or may not be appropriate to involve police. 

When it may be appropriate to involve the police

  • a landlord legitimately suspects a tenant has passed away;
  • when a landlord enters a rental unit after serving proper written notice (or alternatively, the landlord needs to enter because of an emergency) and is concerned that a tenant may physically resist this legal entry;
  • to respond to a complaint from, a landlord or tenant regarding excessive noise, imminent serious damage to property or person, or physically threatening confrontations between tenants or between landlords and tenants; or
  • the landlord reasonably believes that the rental property is regularly being used for illegal activities.

NOTE: In this case, a person can also call SCAN (Safer Communities and Neighbourhoods) at (867) 456–7226.

When it may be appropriate to get the Sheriff’s Office involved

  • the Sheriff may execute an order of possession from the Residential Tenancies Office (RTO);
  • to seize properties to enforce a monetary order; or
  • the Sheriff’s Office will serve documents for a fee.

When it is NOT appropriate to involve the Police or Sheriff’s Office

  • to ask to act as a witness;
  • to ask to make a decision regarding landlord and tenant rights;
  • to seize properties to compel payment of monetary order (unless there is a court registered RTO order); or
  • to let a landlord into a residential unit to seizepersonal property or change the locks (unless there is a court registered RTO order).