Protective Services

Protective Services

Burn permits

The following information refers to burning permits outside of Whitehorse city limits. If you plan to burn within the city limits, contact the City of Whitehorse.

When do I need a burning permit?

  • Between April 1 and September 30, you need a valid permit to light an open fire.
  • Burning permits are required for:
    • Burning grass, debris or brush, using a burn barrels
    • Lighting an open fire for any purpose other than a campfire (more info on campfire safety)
    • Burning on all public and private lands

Where can I get a burning permit?

Permits are available locally. Burning permits are free.

Burn barrels

Garbage disposal is best done at solid waste facilities but  if that isn't possible, building a proper burn barrel incinerator is an option.

1. Before you burn
In many parts of Yukon, burn barrels are commonly used to dispose of debris. While they are convenient, they must be used responsibly to avoid sparking a wildfire.  

2. Get a burning permit
If you plan on using a burn barrel during the fire season (April 1 - September 30), you are required to obtain a burning permit (see above).

3. Prepare your burn barrel
Always cover your barrel with a metal screen and position the barrel at least 5 metres from standing timber

Tips for a safe burn

  • Plan your burn for a safe time of the year, in the fall or just after green-up in the spring.
  • Ensure you clarify the extent of your burn project when obtaining the permit.
  • Make sure you keep your fire to a manageable size.
  • Avoid burning during high winds.
  • Attend to all fires until they are completely out. Make sure they are out by spreading the burned residue piles by machine or hand.

Cancellation of permit due to fire danger rating

Burning is dependent on the fire danger rating in your area. Fire danger ratings are available on our website.

Always check the rating before you burn and call the Issuing Office prior to burning.