Department of Community Services

Search by:

Department Overview

Programs & Services

Boiler Registrations and Inspections
Mechanical Inspectors review plans for boiler, elevator and gas installations and issue permits throughout Yukon.

Building Permits and Inspections
Building Safety supports, administers and enforces building, plumbing, electrical and mechanical standards. It also reviews development permits and maintains a building information repository.

Burning Permits / Fire Permits
A burning permit is required for government lands and private lands between April 1 and September 30. Permits can be obtained free of charge from your local Wildland Fire Management district office and Fire Initial Attack Bases.

Business Name Guidelines
Corporate Affairs registers information relating to partnerships and business names.

Electrical Permits and Inspections
Electrical Inspectors review plans for electrical installations, perform inspections and issue permits throughout Yukon.

Emergency Measures
Emergency Measures Organization (EMO) is responsible for coordinating the territory's preparedness for, response to, and recovery from, major emergencies and disasters, including fire, flood, power failure, toxic spills and extreme weather.

Emergency Medical Services
Emergency Medical Services practitioners are responsible for the emergency care and transportation of the sick and injured both within Yukon and to specialist care in Southern Canada.

Employment Standards
Employment Standards educates employers and employees about the Employment Standards Act, answers inquiries about the Act, investigates wage complaints and more.

Fire Marshal
The Fire Marshal's Office works to reduce the loss of life and property to fire. Services include Fire Fighter training, public edication, Volunteer Fire Departments and more.

Gas Tax Fund

Yukon Statutory Holidays: New Year's Day, Good Friday, Victoria Day, Canada Day, Discovery Day, Labour Day, Thanksgiving Day, Remembrance Day, and Christmas Day. The public service and some others may also observe Heritage Day, Easter Monday and Boxing Day.

Home Owner's Grant
Any homeowner can make apply for a Home Owners Grant for their principal residence.

Includes public libraries, government libraries and school, college and education-based libraries.

Library cards
Library cards are available from any public library in the Yukon. Permanent residents can apply for a card with one piece of Yukon identification. A $10 refundable deposit is required from temporary residents.

Licences - Professional
Consumer Services manages licensing for many professions including, but not limited to: insurance, collection, real estate, security guards, optometrists, dentists, chiropractors and second-hand dealers.

Liens - Personal Property Security Registrations
Yukon Personal Property Security Registry has moved to ACOL Personal Property Registry.

Maternity and Parental Leave
Frequently asked questions about maternity and parental leave.

Minimum Wage regulations
Questions and answers about minimum wage regulations.

Non-Profit Organizations/Societies
Corporate Affairs manages a registry for non-profit societies under the Societies Act.

Property taxes and assesment
Provides current, accurate and equitable property assessments to taxing authorities.

Recycling, Water and Waste
Community Operations oversees the operation and maintenance of community infrastructure and service delivery programs for solid waste and water management, recycling and mosquito control in unincorporated Yukon.

Residential Tenancies Office
The new Residential Landlord and Tenant Act is in effect as of January 1, 2016. Landlords and tenants should be aware of the new rules and regulations that govern residential tenancies in Yukon.

Rural Electrification and Telecommunications Program
Available to owners of rural property owners. Supports a range of electrical service installations, it provides planning, design, project management, and project financing at favorable interest rates.

The Securities Registrar can provide general information on investing and securities in Canada.

Sport and Recreation
Leadership, resources and support to promote the stability of the Yukon sport, recreation and active living system.